U18 National Cup Final

Glyn U18B Team – Second Best B Team in the Country!

On Monday 12 March the ESFA National finals headed to Doncaster Rovers' Keepmoat Stadium to play the finals of the U18 B Team Cup for Boys and the U18 Schools’ Cup for Boys. The U18 Schools’ Cup for Boys fell victim to the weather, but our match went ahead despite the adverse weather.

A midday kick off saw the U18 Schools’ Cup for B Teams Final on the Keepmoat pitch, with Glyn School taking on Thomas Telford School. The game opened with Glyn taking control in the opening phases, with Tom Sullivan dropping deep to link the play and eventuality leading to a chance for Tom Greenhead to turn and shoot from the edge, however the Thomas Telford goalkeeper stopped the chance low to his left. Glyn continued to create the better of the chances and created another good chance for Tom Greenhead after playing the ball out from the back. Thomas Telford grew into the game slowly and after 20 minutes started to show real threat. Thomas Telford's improvement would begin to pay more dividends as they worked the ball behind the defence in wide areas with precise through-balls and effective fullback overlaps. However, the potential attacks were thwarted through the dynamic covering play of Sam Bromley of Glyn School, who was tasked with covering the Thomas Telford breaks and did so superbly with the help of his central defensive partner, Jackson March.

The game went back and forth and a fantastic pass from the captain, Boe Fowler, crafted an excellent chance for Adam Gordon, but the Thomas Telford goalkeeper made a smart save at his near post to keep the game goalless.  With only three minutes left in the half, the rain eased off enough for a game of football to break out until half time. Both sides were pushing their opponents high up the pitch and looking to interrupt the opposition passing. On the stroke of half time, Thomas Telford took the lead with a misjudged bounce of the ball on a soaking wet playing surface, which saw their striker finish coolly past Dan McKerracher.

The teams returned to the pitch for the second half as Thomas Telford looked to hold onto their lead with the rain pouring harder than before, with both teams looking to adopt a more direct approach to the game. The teams continued to battle against the conditions with the game becoming very combative as the teams fought to find an edge.

It would, however, be Thomas Telford that would double their lead with only 10 minutes left to play. Not willing to lie down, the second goal brought Glyn School to life, with a jolt who began pressing their opposition for the rest of the match. A matter of minutes before the close of the game Glyn pulled a goal back from a free kick, which was floated into the back post and would be headed home by James Mansfield. Glyn continued to pour forward in waves of attack that would ultimately prove to be futile, as the referee's whistle crowned Thomas Telford as champions.

Congratulations to Thomas Telford on being crowned champions. The 2-1 result was probably a fair reflection, but I am extremely proud of the team’s achievement having played some fantastic football throughout the competition and thoroughly deserved to make it to such a prestigious final.

Onwards and upwards into next year and, who knows, maybe Glyn will be crowned National Champions in the 2018-2019 season.


Dan McKerracher, Stevie Edgell, Aaron Littlejohn, Jackson March, Sam Bromley, James Bland, Ben Lyons, Tom Sullivan,          James Mansfield, Boe Fowler (C), Adam Gordon, Tom Greenhead, Sam D’Rozario, Luke Joseph, Shay Fitzatrick,

Mr Tanner, Football Academy Lead