Year 8 - Cup Success

Year 8 - Cup Success

Following on from the Year 9 Cup success earlier this week, the Year 8 boys football team had their own Cup Final to contend with.  They were facing Oxted School who beat them in the league only a couple of weeks ago. 

After a thorough warm-up, the game kicked off shortly after 4 o’clock and Beacon were straight into their opposition.  Unlike our usual slow start to games, midfield battles were being won, passing was slick and plenty of opportunities were being created.  It is fair to say that Beacon dominated the first half and the pressure finally took its toll on Oxted as Ben Wakeling opened up the scoring.  Beacon maintained the intensity and did not let Oxted have any of the ball.  Such was the intensity and dominance of Beacon that goal keeper, Joel Borrow, could easily have been mistaken as a spectator, only managing to touch the ball twice in the whole first half.  Not to be outdone by his brother, Tom Wakeling turned the screw once again on Oxted by scoring Beacon’s second goal just before half time.

Football is often described as a game of two halves and the cup final proved to be just that.  Within 30 seconds of the restart, Oxted somehow managed to find theirself  in Beacon’s penalty box and from no where scored a goal of their own.  Beacon did not let their heads drop and Captain Aaron Galloway rallied the troops and before long Sam Steele had netted the ball only to be called offside.  I am sure that if VAR had been available to call upon then the goal would have stood – but what do I know!!

From a potential 3-1 lead, Beacon however found themselves 2-2 after some miscommunication that saw a backpass make its way into their own goal.  Despite more dominance from Beacon, the score was levelled at full-time and the game was taken to extra time.  Beacon approached extra time as they had the rest of the match – full commitment!  With only 14 minutes left to secure the win, Beacon threw everything they had at Oxted.  Perseverance paid off and a goal in either half of extra time (a second from Tom Wakeling and one from Jack Clarke) saw Beacon lift the trophy! 

The win topped off what has been a superb season for the Year 8 football squad and I would like to thank all players and parents for the support that they showed throughout the year.  Until next year…..

 Mr Newton - Assistant Headteacher, Teacher of PE